18 Apr 2022
SASG Williams Closing Remarks to members of the High Council of State and the House of Representatives
Cairo, Egypt | 13-18 April 2022
- Please allow me first to express my profound gratitude to the government of the Arab Republic of Egypt for hosting us and for their hospitality. Their support for the United Nations’ efforts in Libya to promote a political solution to the Libyan crisis is deeply appreciated.
- Over the course of the past week, I have observed the consultations and the detailed discussions of this joint committee on several key issues linked to the constitutional track. I thank you for the time and effort you have put into these consultations, especially into cultivating cooperation with your counterparts across the political aisle and in being willing to constructively discuss issues of contention, exploring and proposing solutions to them. I also welcome and congratulate your agreement on the internal regulations governing the work of the joint committee and your detailed commitment to meet quickly after Eid al-Fitr to continue the consultations, keeping in mind the delineations of the rather short timeframe that we are working with.
- The United Nations has been pleased to support and facilitate these consultations and we will use our good offices to continue to accompany you in your journey to establish a consensual constitutional and legal framework to enable the holding of credible national and inclusive elections; a framework that will protect the electoral process and respond to the aspirations of the 2.8 million Libyans who registered to vote.
- It’s not secret to you – we need to break the endless circle of crisis that has beset your country. You and your compatriots have been living with instability, division, insecurity, and conflict for a decade, and now, more than ever, your people want and deserve a clear pathway out of this crisis. Everyone needs to do their part and shoulder their responsibility the days and weeks ahead. You need to deliver on providing the necessary framework for elections to take place as soon as possible. So please don’t disappoint them.
- You and the institutions you represent you have to ensure that this constitutional track leads to swift, albeit carefully constructed and concrete outcomes that will unlock this political impasse.
- I look forward to remaining in close contact with all of you and your delegations, and to seeing you soon after Eid for the follow-up meeting.
- In the meantime, I wish you a very blessed end to the holy month of Ramadan, as well as a happy Eid.
- I would like now to turn the floor over to the Co-Chairs of the Committee.