Statement by the 5+5 Joint Military Commission (JMC) Meeting with Military and Security Leaders in Benghazi
07 April 2023
In presence of the Special Representative of the Secretary General in Libya, the 5+5 Joint Military Commission (JMC) organized a meeting in Benghazi bringing together several military and security leaders from the western, eastern, and southern regions. The purpose of the meeting was to enhance confidence among the military and security leaders in support of the political process and to move forward with creating a conducive environment for holding free and fair elections during this year (2023) and the acceptance of the results by all parties.
The meeting agreed on the following:
- Expressed full commitment to the conclusions of the dialogue between the 5+5 JMC and the military and security leaders in Tunis & Tripoli.
- Re-affirmed the readiness of the attendees to provide all forms of support to secure all stages of the elections.
- Supported the efforts of the 5+5 JMC and its Libyan Liaison Committees on the withdrawal of mercenaries and foreign fighters.
- Initiated practical measures to start addressing the problems of internally displaced persons and missing persons and ensure their safe return through coordination among the concerned security agencies in the various regions of Libya.
- Exchanged information on the detainees held by both sides and considered practical steps to exchange detainees as soon as possible.
- Expressed appreciation for the initiative of the General Command to release six detainees from the western region who are held in custody for security issues.
The attendees agreed to schedule the next meeting in Sabha after the holy month of Ramadan.